Saturday, December 18, 2010

Could One Love?

This is a poem I wrote a few months ago. Unknowingly, it became one of my best works yet, and others have complimented and given me more praise than I deserve! In any case, I have decided to post this poem. It has become one of my favorites.

Could One Love?

My face was hardened,
Stained by tears
Their salty tracks
Betrayed my fears
Throughout my life
I pushed away
So why these scars
Haunt me today
A child grasps
Her daddy’s hand
Were she to fall
He’d help her stand
A place inside
With envy filled
Where once my long
For love was stilled
Would ever I
Belong to one
But now I stay
Observed by none
My heart of stone
Forged long ago
Remaineth cold
Like icy snow
Longing fills
Emotion’s place
I once ignored
But now beg grace
Could someone love
One stained as I
Afraid to feel
Afraid to cry
I once was hurt
Once cast aside
Though promised love
To me they lied
My frozen tears
Now melt like ice
I trusted love
And paid the price
I caged myself
In stoic mask
Why doth my heart
Forsake its task
To never care
To only beat
Though wander I
Lost through the street
I hid myself
Behind my lies
I scoffed at other
Orphans cries
Such terrors haunt
A place within
I once ignored
Despite the din
Of screams of pain
That clutch and grab
Refuse release
Persist and stab
My appearance cold
A mirror of life
That’s all I’ve known
These years of strife
Could someone love
One stained as I
Afraid to feel
Afraid to cry
Yet now I sob
Now I ache
My heart is ice
But soon will break
I long for love
To be aware
And show just once
This lost one care
Though many pass
Not one will see
This fallen waif
That cries “Help me!”
I lie forgotten
Forsaken here
Is it my call
To drown in tear
A man lifts up
My shaken form
Around him dims
Surrounding storm
Who is this man
Who saw my hurt
Who knelt beside me
In the dirt
“My daughter” he says
“My child dear
“Forsake your pain
“Forsake your fear
“I’ll wash it in
“My crimson blood
“Release them now
“Into this flood”
Alas I tremble
But I obey
I want to know
This man today
This man who saw
One stained as I
He took my hurt
And let me cry
He gave me life
He washed me white
He turned my dark
Into His light.

Skyeler

3 comments:

Calleigh said...

I LOVE THIS ONE!!!!
Good job, Skye :)

Writerwannabe15 said...

Beautiful. :)

Elizabeth said...

One of my favorites!!