Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book 14 - Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet, by William Shakespeare.  This is my favorite Shakespeare play so far.  The language and poetic flow was beautiful.  The ending, well . . .  what could be more glorious?  Not exactly, dear Marianne -.-  It was sad, but mostly, it just made me rather angry.  There were so many other ways they could have survived.  Why be so hasty to die?  It also had my least favorite "comic relief" character: Mercutio.  Oh. My.  The notes and footers weren't rated, but if they were...let's just say everything Mercutio says isn't quite clean.  Shakespeare tends to be bawdy, but this was a bit much.  Thankfully he didn't have as much stage time as Romeo.  When either Romeo or Juliet were speaking, it was beautiful and lovely; the gorgeous language was astounding, and that is what made this play my favorite to read.


No comments: