Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book 7 - Hamlet

My seventh book of the year - Hamlet by William Shakespeare.  This has, probably, been my favorite Shakespeare I have read so far (which includes Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, and Henry V)  Some of this reason may be the fact that we watched the movie with David Tennant staring as Hamlet, so throughout the play I had his voice running through my head :P  Also, Hamlet has many soliloquies (parts of the play where he talks to himself/the audience) so for this character I could see what he was thinking, which frequently doesn't happen in Shakespeare's plays.  


I used The Annotated Shakespeare to read this play, which, like Folgers, has notes to help you with words you don't know, phrases that don't make sense, or definitions that have changed over time.  These were quite useful, as always, but I found myself looking at them less over the course of this play.  I am finally getting used to the flow of Shakespeare's words!  This was definitely enjoyable!

Skyeler

No comments: